Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

She keeps vomiting is getting lethargic and has red spots on

Customer Question

She keeps vomiting is getting lethargic and has red spots on her body
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Boxer lab mix
JA: OK. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Boxer?
Customer: Not that I am aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Boxer Lab mix girl. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you she just through up again and it was pearly colored and kind of foamy
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Your girl's symptoms are very worrying and could be due to anything from a simple gastroenteritis to an intestinal obstruction, however alongside the red spots on her body we also have to consider a toxicity, a severe allergic reaction, or even a snake or insect bite. If she is continuously vomiting and/or quite lethargic, then there is absolutely no question that you need to get her seen straight away - treat this as an emergency.

If she seems ok right now, then please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As above, if she is quite lethargic right now or if she keeps vomiting - you need to get her seen straight away. For now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here:

Best of luck with your girl and definitely follow up with your local ER vet right away if the red spots increase in size, she continues to seem lethargic, or if she continues to vomit. It is definitely worth playing it safe in your girl's case. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.