Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I just got her and she is pooing out straight blood and

Customer Question

I just got her and she is pooing out straight blood and bloody diarrhea. She plays a little and eat little at a time. I dont know what could possibly be wrong.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Angel. Im not sure how old. No older than 11 months.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Angel?
Customer: Someone found her and when i got her she was full of fleas. I bathed her and been giving her ceasars dog food and also puppy chow. She is very skinny also.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Angel. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be going on here with Angel including anything from intestinal worms, an infectious issue such as parvo virus, a GI infection due to Salmonella, Campylobacter or even something like giardia or coccidia, or this could simply be down to colitis due to a change in diet or reaction to the protein in her current diet.

If Angel isn't up to date with her vaccinations, we definitely have to consider an infectious cause. If she is pooping a lot of blood, then please get her to your local vet first thing tomorrow if you can, and for now, keep her away from any other dogs/puppies in your area. They will need to consider a potential infectious issue such as parvo virus here if this is the case. Hopefully she is up to date with her deworming treatments as well, and if not - please arrange this for her tomorrow. Use a reliable product like drontal or milbemax that deals to all of the varieties of intestinal worms including roundworm, hookworm and tapeworm. It sounds like she has had a lot of fleas previously and it's likely you have treated her for these now, but next time she is due, use a reliable product for this as well such as Advantage or an edible chew like Bravecto.

For now, you will have to continue to keep a close eye on your girl. For the next few days, you could try her with a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice to see if this helps at all. It may well do if this is a food allergy, or due to colitis. You also need to make sure she is drinking plenty of water, so hopefully you have no issues convincing her.

If she is passing a lot of blood, this could well be a hemorragic gastroenteritis and if this is the case, you need to get her seen first thing tomorrow morning. For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Angel and definitely follow up on this with your vet in the morning. Hopefully she is settled and otherwise fine right now. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc