Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Drinks less water licks area after urinating...uti : uti : n

Customer Question

drinks less water licks area after urinating...uti
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: uti
JA: Where does Uut seem to hurt?
Customer: n
o recognisable pain
JA: How old is Uut?
Customer: no recognisabe pain
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Uut?
Customer: has skin disorder
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** How old is this dog? Is it a male or female?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
13 or14 fem
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
was thinking 500 mg 2 times daycefalexina

Thank you for that information. Typically the signs of a urinary tract infection in a dog are more frequent urinations, straining to urinate, blood in the urine, and accidents where they don't normally have them. Just licking an area where urine is doesn't seem to indicate a UTI. Do you feel that she's eating normally? What other problems is she showing besides drinking less water and licking the areas after urinating? Is she losing weight?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we live in hot humid puerto vallarta sarna sarcoptica scabies or fungus could be an issue.bought scabisin shmpoo.last tme we gave ivermectina 5 mos but she is old also ketoconazol front line plus helped

So are you mostly seeing some skin lesions on her? What seems to be the major problem that you are seeing with her?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she is a lab loves the water chunks of hair missing pink under also grey scabs using zink oxide head and shoulders and tea tree topicly on affected areas should wethrow away hr bedding

Thank you for that information. Probably the most common cause of skin issues is a simple bacterial infection. They can get areas of moist dermatitis that can show as areas of hair missing. Typically these are treated with keeping the area clean and dry. Scabies is typically very irritating / itchy. Can you get her to your vet to have them evaluate her skin? They can do a skin scraping to screen for parasites. They can do cytology to look for fungal issues.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
not an option. would 500 mg cefalosporina take care of that and uti

If she's not straining to urinate, not having blood in her urine, or not having accidents - then a UTI would seem unlikely. As far as the skin, the best thing that can be done at home is to clean the area with a mild hand soap and to then thoroughly dry the area once a day. This can help to remove debris that may be building up and to help any infection that is there. Can you take a picture of the skin and post it so I can see it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you.wat bout scabies shampoo cant send photo and would antibiotic harm her and help with bacterial skin issues

Antibiotics in the cephalosporin category are commonly used for skin related infections.