Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

Just realised my dog got into a bag of rubbish which had

Customer Question

Just realised my dog got into a bag of rubbish which had garlic ,tops of a leek and the remains of a bunch of chives!!!
Not sure as how much he has eaten of for that matter any .... But bag and contents ripped to shreds.
Dodge is a labrabor aged 2 .... Seems fine but a little concerned !!!!
Thank you di
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane and will be helping you with Dodge tonight. Do you have any idea how long ago the possible ingestion occurred? With garlic, onions, and leek/chives- we worry about development of hemolytic anemia- a condition where the membranes of red blood cells are damaged- which can result in significant illness. Some dogs are sensitive to it- while others aren't and there is no way to predict which dogs are sensitive. The other concern would be- did he ingest anything non-edible that could lead to an intestinal obstruction. And finally, if anything rotten or moldy was ingested, he could develop vomiting or diarrhea, and sometimes more serious effects. If he ate it within the past 1-2 hours- you have the option of taking him in to a local 24 hour clinic to induce vomiting- to try and avoid any ill effects from what he ate. If it has been longer than 1-2 hours, or if you have no 24 hour service available, just feed him a small meal of watered down food tonight, and offer water. Monitor him for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, tremors- if any of these develop, get him in to be seen. Either way, contact his veterinarian tomorrow to let them know what happened. They may want to schedule a checkup, and some lab work to make sure he has not developed anemia from the garlic/leeks. Has this helped?

If you are satisfied and have no other questions to address, please provide a rating for me tonight. I hope all turns out well for Dodge!

Please don't forget to provide a rating!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebekah Kane