Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

How do I get my chihuahua to take a pill. The vet gave me a

Customer Question

How do I get my chihuahua to take a pill. The vet gave me a canned dog food which she won't eat. I've tried wrapping it in turkey, cookie crumbs, bread crumbs, and mac and cheese, and hot dogs. So far nothing works.She isn't eating anything. Has bloody diahrrea. Medication is Metronidazole.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. With some dogs that can be difficult. I would see if your vet has a pill popper. It is a long tube you put the pill at the end of, put it into the back of their throat and push a plunger to pop it in there. If able, some dogs are easy to just push the pill into the back of their throat on the right side and hold their mouth shut until they swallow. Occluding their nostrils with a finger will force them to swallow in order to breath out of their mouth. Like I said, some dogs are easy to force pill, some dogs are hard. You can also talk to your vet about getting the metronidazole compounded into a liquid. That tends to be a lot easier to give if they will not take the pills. Crushing it up may just make it more bitter and it doesn't dissolve in water very well to syringe it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Delilah. How is everything going?

Dr. John