Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

Took my 8 yr old pit to the vet today and they told me that

Customer Question

took my 8 yr old pit bull to the vet today and they told me that the x rays showed that he had a mass and that it was pushing up against his stomach and that his spleen was enlarged. The vet told me that surgery needed to be done. I don't want my dog to suffer. Just wondering if it has gone too far or is the surgery the key to making him better.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nicholas
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nicholas?
Customer: He was neutered about 5 mos ago because he started bleeding from his penis and the suggested neutering him. He was overweight weighing about 95 lbs and he has lost about 7 lbs and not eating as regular.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Was he showing any other signs of illness besides decrease in appetite. Did you veterinarian discuss an ultrasound?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the vet also did a blood test and stated that he was anemic. He is extremely tired. He does not move around a lot. I would call him and it would take a long time for him to respond. He just lays there and wag his tail .the vet showed me the mass on the x rays.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Based on what you describing I would suspect that he may have a tumor on the spleen that may be bleeding. If that is the case removing the spleen may at least help with bleeding for the time being. Whether the surgery will help long term will depend on what is causing the spleen to bleed. If it is caused by a cancerous tumor then the prognosis is usually not that great even with chemotherapy.

I have removed spleens that ended up being a benign tumor based on the biopsy. In those cases surgery help with long term survival.

I would recommend having an ultrasound done prior to surgery just to see if there are tumors anywhere else in the abdomen which may indicate the possibility of a malignant tumor causing the anemia.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the vet told me that the surgery was expensive and the ultra sound is expensive because I had one done on him just before he was neutered. I don't understand how they missed it! Can you give a round about figure of how much the surgery would be?

Why was an ultrasound performed 5 months ago? I know with tumors a lot can change in 5 months especially in older dogs. As far as the cost of this type of surgery if you have it performed by a board certified surgery depending on the area you live in, it can cost at least $3000 dollars and even more if he actively bleeding at the time of surgery because he will likely need a blood transfusion and need to be hospitalized for a period of time.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He started bleeding from his penis. at first it was a few drops then it got worse so they did an ultra sound and told me that neutering him would help stop the bleeding.

Okay they probably were trying to rule out if there was anything going on with the prostate. Did they say they did the whole abdomen at the time of the ultrasound or did they just focus on the prostate and bladder ? I know sometimes they may do focused ultrasounds.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry it took so long to answer, I had to make a run. the Ultra sound was done on his prostate. I need to know where the bleeding is coming from and that his spleen was not punctured during his last surgery.
If his surgery was only a Neuter it was very unlikely that they punctured the spleen. Neutering does not involve entering the abdomen during surgery which is where the spleen is located. Also if the spleen was punctured at the time of surgery there would have been problems at that time.
Since they only ultrasounded the prostate that could explain why they would not have seen a mass in the spleen. An ultrasound of the whole abdomen would have needed to be done to see what was on the xray
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a hard decision to decide to do the surgery or to let him go. I know that the surgery is not guaranteed and that he won't suffer afterward. I know that you can't tell me and it is a decision that I will need to make but you advise me on this situation? Should be taking pain pills?

I definitely understand the difficulty of the situation. My recommendation would be to have an ultrasound of the abdomen performed to see exactly where the tumor is and if it has spread anywhere else. Because if it has spread anywhere else (meaning any other organs) then I wouldn't recommend doing the surgery.

Not sure if pain meds will help. In some cases it may make him more sedate then normal since he is ill.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dwight Alleyne