Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

She is sixty seven pounds has a bit marks about2 inches

Customer Question

she is sixty seven pounds has a bit marks about2 inches apart on the knee area. We gave her liquid benadryl about 20ml some swelling can I give her Tramadol 50mg also We are 1 1/2 hours to a vet our vet is closed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lily of the valley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lily Of The Valley?
Customer: No UTD with all shots just had a well visit
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Lily of the Valley has been bitten. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Since the bites are 2 inches apart, it sounds like this was from another dog? That would be too far apart for a snake or a cat.

Bite wounds almost always get infected, so she will probably need to be started on antibiotics, but tomorrow should be OK. Warm moist compresses may help draw the infection.

Benadryl will not do much for pain and swelling and inflammation. Aspirin would be better. She could take 1/2 to 1 regular strength aspirin (325 mg) once to twice daily with some food. If she vomits, do not repeat the aspirin. Do not give Tylenol, or Advil or Aleve.

The tramadol will help with pain, but not with swelling and inflammation. You can give her 2 tramadol (50 mg) every 8 hours. It may cause drowsiness.

I would have her checked tomorrow if possible since this may get infected and since it is near a joint, all the more reason to worry about infection.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions, and if this was helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is Lily of the Valley doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote. How is she doing?