Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

We rescued a chihuahua 2 weeks ago. She would eat and drink

Customer Question

We rescued a chihuahua 2 weeks ago. She would eat and drink fine until 3 days ago. Won't eat and have to use a dropper to get her some water. Took her to vet yesterday. They did a blood test that was negative for the tick born illnesses that it could check for.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: He put her on tetracycline 3 times daily. She has vomited x2 since Friday. Did urinate twice today and can walk around a little. Very weak. Sleeps a lot.
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Sorry, I keep hitting the enter key and it goes to you before I am done. She had a normal stool Friday morning. None since
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Candy replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your new girl is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How old is she?

Is she spayed, if not do you know when her last heat cycle was?

Did the vet do a full blood panel or only check for tick borne illnesses?

What food was she eating before all of this started and was it the same food she was eating before you got her?

Has she had any new additions to her food such as new treats or table food in the last week?

What did they vet think was going on to cause them to put her on Tetracycline?