Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Dixie is a 15 year old yellow lab. She eats her food twice

Customer Question

Dixie is a 15 year old yellow lab. She eats her food twice daily (1 cup Beneful mixed with 1/4 Cesar tray). She has been very consistent with her morning urination and bowel movement, but lately (mainly in the mornings) she's gone into deep breathing spasms, lasting several minutes, while trying to regurgitate. Sometimes it's productive and other times it'd just mucus. When these spasms are over and she returns to normal, she will eat her food and drink some water. The rest of the day she is calm and sleeping.
Several months ago, when she was showing signs of deep and raspy sounding breathing, I took to our Vet. Xrays were taken showing normal lung, trachea, GI and heart. No tumors or oversized organs were detected. No meds were prescribed. She's an old dog and probably ready for the long nap, but maybe there is something we should try. Yours thoughts Please, Dave & Dixie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Dixie is having this issue. Is she still having the raspy breathing? Has it progressed? My primary concern would be laryngeal paralysis so that when she eats her food some maybe going down the wrong way and causing coughing/ vomiting episodes. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition where feeding smaller more frequent meals elevated can help resolve the issue to some degree.

A few other possibilities include an esophageal or stomach mass (which will not show up on x-rays unfortunately), fluid buildup that is exacerbated after a long rest period, or even a thoracic mass causing her distress.

I would consider a recheck chest rad at this point and your vet listen to her larynx while breathing to determine if there is a "flutter" heard when ausculting with a stethoscope.

For now waiting an hour after awake, feeding elevated small more frequent meals along with elevating water bowls, prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound when just waking up to reduce acid reflux are the best place to start in hopes of controlling her symptoms.

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. I am online another 30 minutes to assist you this evening

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!