Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a lump near her anus and wondering if it might go

Customer Question

My dog has a lump near her anus and wondering if it might go away on its own or we need to visit the vet. I have a picture.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Can you upload the photo(s) to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Added the picture

This appears to be a benign perianal adenoma. It won't go away on its own and needs to be surgically excised before it grows any larger, ulcerates, and bleeds. It can be needle aspirated and the aspirate examined by my pathologist for confirmation of the tumor type but it can be difficult differentiating this from a malignant perianal adenosarcoma in that manner and so biopsy after removal (a "surgical biopsy") is prudent and more cost-effective.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.