Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dauchshund (8 yrs old) has recently started licking her

Customer Question

My dauchshund (8 yrs old) has recently started licking her mammary glands between her legs and has become irritable and lethargic. In comparing her to my other dauchshund (12yrs old and her mother) it appears that her mammary glands are hard while her mother's are soft. The mother is spayed and the daughter is fertile.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: DD
JA: Huh?
Customer: DD
JA: Huh?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** for Dolly Dot.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about DD?
Customer: It's all in the first paragraph
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Unless bred, DD is experiencing pseudocyesis (pseudopregnancy/false pregnancy) the symptoms of which include mammary problems such as engorgement, lactation, and licking of the glands and abnormalities associated with aberrant maternal behavior (nesting, digging, adoption of animals or objects). Depression or anxiety, irritability, anorexia, and excessive vocalization (whining) are possible. Pseudocyesis typically resolves spontaneously within 2-3 weeks from its onset but can occasionally persist until the next estrous cycle. Medical treatment is available but rarely done. Spaying (ovariohysterectomy) is curative, of course, because pseudocyesis can't occur once the ovaries are removed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?