Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

What can be given

Customer Question

What can be given for pancreatitis
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Charlie has pancreatitis. My name is ***** ***** will do my best to help. I am a veterinarian.

The treatment for pancreatitis is fluid therapy to maintain hydration until the vomiting stops and the appetite returns, pain medication (pancreatitis can be very painful), vomiting medication like Cerenia, and if oral medication is staying down, metronidazole if there is diarrhea.

Carafate is used when there is inflammation or ulcers inside the lining of the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, but not usually for pancreatitis unless the vomiting is so severe that ulcers are suspected. It would not have a direct effect on the pancreas.

If Charlie is not getting pain medication, and being hydrated, that is important in the treatment of pancreatitis. Let me know how he is doing, how the diagnosis of pancreatitis was made, and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote. How is Charlie doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?