Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

We took my dog camping this weekend. He was in a air

Customer Question

We took my dog camping this weekend. He was in a air conditioned camper part of the time, although the AC didn't keep up with the heat completely. He was also outside quite a bit but he had water and I sprayed him with water periodically to keep cool. Family members also fed him a lot of table food. He began vomiting about 9 hrs ago. He did it 3 times lastnight but has kept water down since. He now is quivering, breathing rapidly, and acts like he hurts and just isn't right. He has a history of bowel obstruction with foreign bodies. I'm not sure if he could have eaten something he shouldn't have as well.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you able to take a rectal temperature (using a normal thermometer from the pharmacy or grocery store)?

Is he breathing faster then 30 breaths per minute?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Do you know what foods were fed (as some are pet toxic)? Or any chance he has eaten something non-edible this time?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have a thermometer on me as we are still at the campground. He is much I above 30 resp/min. He had mostly meats lastnight (steal/hotdogs). He also ate some grass and weeds I noticed. The only thing I can think that he could have eaten that could possibly cause an obstruction would be some rawhide sticks- if those can even cause it. His belly does seem tender. He doesn't want to walk around or move. I did get him to go out to do he business this AM but had to help him down the camper step.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now our dilemma with Bubba is that we do have a few possible triggers for his vomiting. We can see this associated with heat stroke but also foreign body ingestion (rawhide in big pieces can but less likely if he had these before) or pancreatitis from fatty foods like hotdogs being fed. So, we need to tread with care here. Though if his belly is sore, then that does make heat stroke a bit less likely here.

Now it would be ideal to take a temperature to make sure its not >102.5*F. If that is normal, we’d be able to rule out heat stroke being an ongoing issue here and focus on the others. Though while sourcing a thermometer, we’d want to start supportive care for poor Bubba.

To start since he can keep water down, we’d want to consider starting him on an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from a local vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, we’d want to start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk and we do have heat stroke concerns, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Of course, even normal, we do want to ensure he has access to cool water at all times.

Finally, if he does seem very hot, you can also start some mild heat stroke treatments. We often will bathe these dogs in cool (not ice cold) water to reduce their temperature. We can also put the A/C on and lay water soaked towels on or under him to help make sure that any overheating isn't an issue here.

Overall, Bubba's signs do raise a few concern here. Therefore, in his case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, is very sore, has pale gums, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get a local vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out heat stroke, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or anything present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Just in case you do need a vet and aren’t near home, I’d note that you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Lyndsey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bubba. How is everything going?