Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog has been poorly week now he stopped eating but was

Customer Question

My dog has been poorly for a week now he stopped eating but was drink for 24hrs then he started eating but as of yesterday he's stopped eating has been drinking but his back legs seem to be not working properly, and this morning he's in his bed he is breathing but not responding to me or reacting to my touch?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yeah no wounds he was unsteady on his back legs when he was standing he's a large breed dog and I rescued him 7 years ago we are unsure of his age but the vet thinks he could be between 12-14 his breathing is now loud and almost a rattle!
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: He's called Ben ❤️
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ben?
Customer: He has a large lump in his prostrate he's had a lump since we got him but over the last few months it has grown I've had different vets say different things whether we should have it removed or leave it as he doesn't handle being at vets well I'm the only person he will let look at his teeth eyes ears etc, I think we are loosing him but I'm worried he's suffering he's in his bed now and as I say totally unresponsive to me, I've never been in this situation before all my other dogs have passed on their own very suddenly and peacefully
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How fast is Ben breathing? Faster then 30 breaths in a munute?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His breathing is slow and changes from a loud rattle type noise to very quiet.
When I touched him stomach there no reaction from him.
His gums are very pale and sticky and his breath in the last 24hours has become really really bad.
It doesn't matter which part of him I touch or when I lifted up his "lips" to see his gums he doesn't move or react.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He had been sick earlier in the week but nothing now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

I have to say that I am very worried about Ben.

This breathing rattle sounds like we may have an ongoing lung issue. It may be a secondary pneumonia taking advantage of his being otherwise poorly, may be due to him aspirating vomit into his lungs or could be a sign of another chronic issue (ie heart disease, lung tumors, etc). I have to say that even if his breathing is slow, those pale gums suggest that he isn't getting enough oxygen (which fits with all of the above) and that his body just cannot keep up with the oxygen need. And if it cannot do so, this will mean less oxygen to the brain and why we are seeing him so collapsed and non-responsive.

With this all in mind, we are in a difficult situation. He sounds past any home treatments here and I'd be concerned that his body is giving up on him. So, since this isn't nice for him (or you), we'd really want to think about having him to the local vet or getting them out to see him. Aggressive treatment and oxygen could help, but if he is this deteriorated then we'd really need to think about letting him go peacefully and preventing him from any more suffering here.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ or

Please take care, my thoughts are with you int his difficult time,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** myself the end is coming I saw it in his eyes yesterday, I just want to keep him comfortable and peaceful. Thank you for your kind words and advice.
Fiona and Ben xx
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, Fiona.

It does sound like he is letting go and comfort while assisting him passing peacefully would be the kindest option.

Please take care,

Dr. B.