Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

What do you do dog that seems to be unable to have a bowel

Customer Question

What do you do for a dog that seems to be unable to have a bowel movement. She is
unable to sit down & pants constantly. I do not know when she had her last bowel
movement, & is obviously in pain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl who is having trouble passing a bowel movement, that has just been sent through to me. I am sorry there hasn't been an expert available to answer your question already. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be going on here with your girl and we have to consider a foreign body obstruction, primary GI issue or even an internal organ problem here as well as just simple constipation. If your girl is constantly straining to defecate, but little or nothing is coming out, then I would recommend getting her down to your local vet now if you can to have them assist. Here they can apply a 'Micralax' if needed, which can help get things moving. The best 'at home' remedy is to pop around a half teaspoon of cooking oil on some wet food twice a day for a few days. This helps coat the poop at her terminal colon to help them slide through more easily. Lactulose syrup works perfectly for this situation, however you will need a prescription from your Vet for this.

As above, if she is really struggling still now, then your vet will be able to apply some Micralax which would definitely help in this situation. Micralax is a suppository that needs to be inserted up the bottom, and it helps to break up the poop in the terminal colon and coats it allowing the dog to poop easily within 5 - 10 minutes. As far as longer term management of this goes for your girl, you could discuss with your vet a higher fiber diet, the addition of psyllium husks and seeds to her current diet, or the addition of another food like mashed pumpkin in to her diet.

For now if your girl seems to be quite distressed attempting to pass a stool, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.