How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 25216
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate or swallowed a peach pit about 40 minutes ago.

Customer Question

my dog ate or swallowed a peach pit about 40 minutes ago. what do you recommend i do?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

How much does your dog weigh, please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Two month's ago he was 23lbs but he has definitely gained some weight so about 25lbs maybe a little more.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He's also 11 years old and sleeping at the moment but hasn't acted differently within the 40-50 mins that he ate/swallowed it.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. A 25 lb dog should be able to pass a peach pet unaided particularly if it were chewed and broken into pieces. You may read that the pit contains cyanide and is dangerous. You can ignore that as it would take more pits than your dog could possible ingest to cause such toxicity.

Gastrointestinal obstruction should always be a concern although unlikely to occur in your dog. The hallmarks of obstruction are persistent vomiting and anorexia and should prompt having X-rays taken of your dog's abdomen. If you believe the pit to have been ingested whole, inducing emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed at 30 mL (2 measuring tablespoons) by means of a small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek should cause vomiting within 15 minutes. If not, the same dose should be administered. Please keep me posted.