Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Mixed breed dog, 8 years old lethargic but still eating.

Customer Question

Mixed breed dog, 8 years old lethargic but still eating. Seems to be constipated and throwing up most of what he ingests.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dani Rabwin replied 6 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Dani, I'm a small animal veterinarian and I'm happy to help with Buddy. How long have his symptoms been going on? Did he ingest something unusual that you know of? Please let me know any additional information you have and I'll be able to offer some suggestions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The symptoms have been going on for 4-5 days. We noticed, while cleaning the backyard that, while our female dog was pooping normally, Buddy's piles were few. We have watched for the past two days and when he poops, it is small, loose production as opposed to the larger production that he normally produces as a 100 pound dog. He will eat his canned food that we feed him once daily but does not eat his dry food or beg for treats. He still likes to go outside but doesn't run as much as usual and is soon ready to come back in and lay down. He has also been throwing up his canned food within an hour of eating.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
To our knowledge he did not ingest anything unusual but he is a "licker". He has a lick granuloma on his front leg and grooms so much that he is familiar with the command, "Buddy! Stop licking."
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could he have a hair ball? He's a short haired dog.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I no longer need any help. Buddy has had surgery to remove a large blood clot in his stomach. The lining of his stomach has been bleeding and instead of passing it, the blood stayed in his stomach and continued to gather mass. I guess it was kind of like a snow ball that continued to roll and get larger. On the x-ray, the veterinarian thought the clot looked like a sock or rag. Boy was he surprised!

I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. My best to Buddy!

You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.