Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

He has blood dripping from s penis : Max and he is 7 years

Customer Question

He has blood dripping from his penis
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max and he is 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: He has never been to a vet to my knowledge
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

There are a handful of causes of blood from Max's penis which often originates in the bladder:

1.) A urinary tract infection, including possible prostate inflammation if he is not neutered
2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding
3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet
4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or no salt broth for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding. Please also try to minimize licking which introduces oral bacteria to the area and increases irritation and risk of infection

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood within his prepuce or penis.

Your vet will start with an examination of the genitalia and run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the blood from the penis which again is often related to the urinary tract to get your pet comfortable swiftly

Below is more information on this condition in dogs, called hematuria (blood in urine):

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with, I am online another 15 minutes tonight. If he is straining to urinate with only blood and no urine, only dripping urine or blood, gums are pale, unable to rest comfortably, or overly lethargic please consider a veterinary er tonight as he could potentially be obstructed which is a true emergency

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thank you

Good morning, I hope you received my response last evening. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!