Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Dog part Border Coolie and supposedly Great Pyrenees.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog part Border Coolie and supposedly Great Pyrenees. Weighing about 60-80 lbs
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: It's has been very hot here in SC. I have noticed the last two days she appears to be constantly panting and has diarrhea.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Not hurting
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lacey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lacey?
Customer: She just does not seem settled, like she normally is.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your dog has loose stools and is restless, likely related to the gi upset.

I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with her digestive tract but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well or Lacey's abdomen appears bloated, vomiting or retching without production please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you do not feel this could be heatstroke?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
White or brown rice?

Unfortunately there is no way to determine that without an exam but if you are able to get a rectal temperature ideal is that it is 100-102.5. If >103.5 then it is possible.

The panting can be a result of gi upset or heat it is very difficult to differentiate in this format

White rice please

An emergency is if temperature rectally with a digital thermometer is >104...

Good morning, I wanted to check in on Lacey to see how she is doing this morning? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Hi Neil Fletcher,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman