Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog ate biscus flowers and has red in s poop. I can't

Customer Question

My dog ate hibiscus flowers and has red in his poop. I can't tell if its blood or red from the flowers.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ollie is a 4 year old poodle
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ollie?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

The toxic principle in hibiscus is unknown but if intoxicated dogs are expected to experience gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. If diarrhea is severe enough, bleeding can occur and so I can't differentiate its "red" from that of the flowers. A simple fecal blood test would differentiate one from the other but unless this "red" persisted in his poop you should be able to avoid the expense of having his poop testing in that manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.