Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 7 PouND poodle mix ate anout2.5 MG hctz and we ate

Customer Question

My 7 PouND poodle mix ate anout2.5 MG hctz and we ate traveling with not vet service
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the poodle will be able to digest that. What is the poodle's name and age?
Customer: What difference does that make she is 2
JA: What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Grace
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Grace?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she have this?

How is she just now?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not head back from you, so I do want to leave my thoughts about Grace in case you are having difficulty replying.

Now this is a drug that we use in dogs, therefore we know its not an outright poisoning in this case. That said, considering the dose and your dog’s weight, this is actually a fairly mild dose. So, while we could see increased thirst/urination, lethargy, wobbliness, and possible urinary accidents; we’d not expect any long term harm.

So, in this case, we do have a few options. You can choose to err on the side of caution by inducing vomiting or treating with activated charcoal. Or you could choose to just monitor her closely. If it has been <2 hours, we can plan to induce vomiting by giving her 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing a local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, this isn't an overly high dose, so it is a low risk situation. So, we can use the above or monitor and provide fluids for her over then next 24 hours as this runs its course.

Finally, just in case you need a local vet on your travels, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?