Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I dropped a Estroven weight control cap (hot flash remedy)

Customer Question

I dropped a Estroven weight control cap (hot flash remedy) and my 14 y/o 25lbs American Eskimo ate it. She has no health issues (normal labs other elevated triglycerides) mild incontienence and she is on Incurin daily.
Box states; Contains 396 mg Black cohosh, Soy Isofavones Cissus quadrangulas leaf extract.
Should I seek medical treatment?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat this?

How is she just now?

Any xylitol in the product?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you and did want to leave my thoughts about Lily in case you are having trouble replying.

Specifically, I wanted to note that while we don't regularly use this in our dog patients, dogs were used to study the safety of this product in people. So, I can tell you that this would be considered a very low dose and wouldn't likely cause lasting harm. Our only concern is that it can cause stomach upset.

So, in this case, we'd just want to monitor her and can offer a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled and then wean her back to her normal diet after 24-48 hours when this is out of her system.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you I did get our veterinarian on the phone that same morning and got instructions to monitor her. Thank you she did fine with no observable effects
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are welcome,

I am glad to hear that she was fine and had no issues with this wee misadventure.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.