Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have 4 goldens that are biting and scratching themselves.

Customer Question

I have 4 goldens that are biting and scratching themselves. they have no fleas or ticks. We have gnats at the campground that we are staying. I have a fan on them when we are outside to try and help. What else can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee ones today.

Poor wee ones!

If they are being possibly being bitten by gnats or flies, I would suggest popping into the local vet for Advantix. This spot on works for fleas, ticks and a range of flying insects. You can find a local vet via . Otherwise, we'd want to counter the allergic irritation these bites cause. To do so, you can start them on an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if they have any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Finally, for general skin soothing, you can bathe them in an emollient shampoo (ie Episoothe, oatmeal based) +/- treat bites with OTC Diphenhydramine cream or hydrocortisone cream as both will reduce allergic irritation at the site of application.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )