Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog is vomiting several hours after feeding. : No. Same food

Customer Question

Dog is vomiting several hours after feeding.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. Same food as usual. He has done this 3 times today.appetite is good and he seems normal except for vomit
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kelsey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kelsey?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
His gums are not as ink as they should be . Holds water for about 4 hours. He is hungry. Last stool was 4 hours ago. No tenderness or pain
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

If his gums are paler then usual, any chance of his eating something sharp or caustic?

What breed is he?

Any distension of his belly?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is chi mix breed. Have had him 2 years rescue. No distension of belly.nothing sharp or caustic. Just gave him straight water....could not keep it down
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

First, since Kelsey's gums are a wee bit pale, we will want to monitor that. If they pale any further, we'd be wary of a gut bleed or reduction in his perfusion and would want him seen urgently.

Though since you noted he is otherwise normal, we can start supportive care to try and reduce his nausea. To start, since he can keep water down for a bit, we'd want to consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing (ie bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (thankfully less likely for Kelsey)). So, we do need to tread with care. Though since he sounds otherwise well in himself, we'd want to monitor those gums and start the above supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, shows further paling, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.