Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I just found my dog licking a rentakil rat box very old and

Customer Question

Hi pearl I just found my dog licking a rentakil rat box very old and wet in a garden shed, she has not ingest much if any. What should I be on the look out for if she has ingested any?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Poppy and she is 2.5years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Poppy?
Customer: No otherwise healthy and exuberant
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Was the poison in the box? Any sign of that being breached?

What is the active ingredient?

How long ago did she lick it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There appears to be nothing in the box, it is old before I moved in to the property and I don't know what is the active ingredient. But they are rentokil boxes.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

If it was an old box, hopefully the rats removed its contents before Poppy found it.

Now if we are not sure what was in the box (they can vary), we do want to watch for 2 sets of clinical signs. First and most likely, will be the signs induced by anti-coagulant based poisons. If she did have any, this can cause gradual issues with clotting. It tends to take a few days to a few weeks, but they tend to present with paling gums (so its worth checking them now to get a baseline), sometimes nose/mouth/rectal bleeds, black stools, changes to breathing, lethargy, and collapse. And I'd note that if it were suspect that she did have some her vet can dispense a few weeks' course of Vitamin K1 to counter any risk. Otherwise, there is one other toxin type that is used in these baits and it tends to cause neurological signs. So, if that was present, we'd expect to see lethargy, wobbliness tremors, and seizures. Usually that one is quick acting, so we'd expect to see it already if it were ingested.

So, it sounds like we may have gotten lucky here with Poppy, but we'd want to keep an eye out for any of the above signs to just be safe.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.