Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 16 year old Bichon has not had a bowel movement in 3

Customer Question

My 16 year old Bichon has not had a bowel movement in 3 days. She eats normally. Is there a safe laxative?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

If Halo otherwise appears healthy then there are reasonably safe options you can try, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If she is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a small dog of your one's size would be in the region of 1 ml twice a day orally. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product. In the meantime until you can get hold of some mineral oil you can safely substitute olive oil or vegetable cooking oil.

2. On a home remedy basis one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try two teaspoons twice a day for a dog like yours.

3. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it will often quickly respond to the above common sense sort of treatment.

4. But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or other serious diseases, this of course is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later.

5. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Halo is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her constipation ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.