Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Less than an hour ago I gave my 16-17 week old puppy a

Customer Question

Hi, less than an hour ago I gave my 16-17 week old puppy a dosage of Hartz Ultra Guard Pro. The rule where it instructs us to run it from the shoulder blades to the base of her tail. I caught her licking her back about 15 minutes ago, should I be concerned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not that I can think of, she was in the proper weight class for the kind I chose. She went and drank water shortly their after
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Thank you for your question, in general I avoid Hartz products for my patients. Even though they are less costly than the name brand they do tend to have more side effects such as tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and it simply isn't worth the risk

In this scenario please monitor closely for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and if you are past the 4-6 hour mark without any issues you should be just fine.

The active ingredient in this product is Etofenprox which is a pyrethroid and when administered orally tends to have low toxicity but since this is the first application please monitor her closely for any issues.

Allow fresh water access but only in moderation (drinking a large volume will result in vomiting).

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!