Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I picked up my 9 week puppy & he wriggled out of my arms.

Customer Question

I picked up my 9 week puppy & he wriggled out of my arms. Fell on side on grass. He yelped at time. I felt both sides & he didn't seem to be in pain. He played for a little bit after & is now sleeping. Should I take to emergency vet just to make sure he's ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Toby. I know he could just be tired he's been active for past 3 hrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs { And pups } and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Actually pups are always having knocks and bumps and minor traumatic incidents such as you describe, my experience is that young pups are usually very resilient and significant injuries are rare.

2. If Toby was now walking normally after the incident and was responding normally and is now asleep then I would be very surprised if you will have any cause for concern so I cannot see any need to see an ER vet this evening, but you may want to have him checked over by your vet at the next regular hours consult just as a precaution. However if he is acting normally tomorrow then the chances are that he will be just fine and this will not really be necessary.

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Toby's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.