Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My toy poodle has been making weird jaw movements since he

Customer Question

Hi my toy poodle has been making weird jaw movements since he had some surgery, first I thought he had something stuck in his mouth, he does smaller yawn, sometimes does a funny little movement with his lower jaw and now has started grinding his teeth
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the toy poodle's name and age?
Customer: Scotts he is 8 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scotts?
Customer: He had crucial surgery 5 weeks ago, the vet said his teeth and gums are really healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear that Scotts has this issue with grinding his teeth. Working with a veterinary dentist regularly the rule out is going to be there are issues under the gumline not visible with oral exam awake and dental x-rays are necessary because grinding can indicate oral pain. In addition, TMJ is possible in dogs as well as people and perhaps with anesthesia his jaw had some luxation with intubation (placing a tube) that is causing him issues and again anesthesia is necessary for manipulation and evaluation of jaw integrity.

Lastly gi changes can cause dogs to grind their teeth. This was found with my own dog who has chronic gi issues when I had the dentist evaluate her mouth and mentioned on the side that her gut was upset. If Scott is still on any medications for pain such as carprofen this might be upsetting his stomach and resulting in the grinding.

To rule out teeth issues: give something cold like an ice cube or cold canned food. Dogs will eat these tenderly if there is an issue
To rule out TMJ often the concussive force of eating dry food you will see dogs struggle with biting down but have no issues with chews or carrots for example
Gi issues may show up with gas, licking lips, increased eating grass, increased salivation, vomiting, diarrhea

I hope this helps hone in on possible causes for his grinding but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am signing off for tonight but will respond in the morning if you do have additional questions

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you