Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dogs paw and leg is swollen : I can see any thing. But it

Customer Question

my dogs paw and leg is swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I can see any thing. But it seems very tender he wont let me really inspect it
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lou, and he is an eleven yr old Pit bull.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lou,?
Customer: no except he has been sleeping most of the day.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Lou has this swelling which definitely sounds concerning. The possible causes include a blood clot in the leg (which would be a cooler temperature than the other feet), a break in the leg which can happen without any instigating causes at this age if there is a possibility of bone cancer, a lymphatic drainage issue meaning the leg isn't draining well, or infection. Regardless of the cause this does require a veterinary exam, especially if he is so painful to not allow you to evaluate the leg we certainly don't want him to remain in pain.

In addition, we are going into a weekend and I would hate for you to end up at a veterinary er because this is not subsiding. Your veterinarian will want to do an examination and possibly an x-ray of the leg to rule out a break. If there is a fever antibiotics maybe warranted but regardless he needs to be on pain medication to aid in getting him comfortable first and foremost

I hope this information makes sense. Without him willing to allow you to evaluate the leg this is the best course of action to provide relief and get answers for Lou. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope you were able to get Lou in to determine the cause of the swelling and would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman