Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 9 almost 10 year old dalmatian has me concerned. He

Customer Question

My 9 almost 10 year old dalmatian has me concerned. He hasn't been eating his food at all. At first we thought it was because his teeth hurt, so we had them cleaned while we were out of town, but that didn't help. We also thought that it was him throwing a fit(Hes very sensitive) when he saw suitcases, but now we're back and hes not eating. Also, hes farting a lot and there's these weird almost squeezing, or squishing noises before he farts, and it doesn't sound good, and its constant. Its been going on for a few days now. He only picks at his food and wont eat.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This does sound concerning. I have a few more questions to ask in order to understand what is going on:

1) How long has he had reduce to no appetite?

2) Prior to his dental cleaning, did he have some screening lab work to ensure he was good to go for anesthesia (CBC, chemistry profile and thyroid check, urinalysis)? Any testing done other than this by his veterinarian to determine why he was not eating before jumping in to do a dental clean?

3)Is he on any medications after the teeth cleaning (e.g., antibiotic)?

4) Does he have any other known long-term health problems?

5) Is he having diarrhea?

Thank you for taking a few minutes to get me some more information.