Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a small dog (pond puppy mixed bread) that ate a bag

Customer Question

HI Pearl,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: I have a small dog (pond puppy mixed bread) that ate a bag of onion bagels including the bag. What do I do?
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Digger
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Digger?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

How many bagels did Digger enjoy? How much does he weigh, please? There might not have been enough onion to worry about onion toxicity; it takes eating at least 5 grams/kg of body weight to develop toxicosis. The rest of the ingredients aren't a problem but I do need to know how much of that bag was ingested. It could possibly obstruct his GI tract if he didn't macerate it thoroughly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He weighs about 35 pounds and ate 3 or 4 bagels. I'm not really sure how many were in the bag. He ate the hole bag. I found small pieces in his bed, but the rest was gone.

Not such a small dog, then. I feel better already. Our concern should be the bag. Signs of obstruction are persistent anorexia and vomiting. I would expect transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea from his dietary indiscretion. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. His appetite is good, and he has pooped, but it was a bit loose and not much.

You're welcome. That sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?