Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He is 6 months old and much much smaller than the other 2

Customer Question

he is 6 months old and much much smaller than the other 2 dogs born at the same time, same mom (Chihuahua) and dad (poodle) and his ears are peeling, he sometimes gets a slimy foam on his mouth but I was told that's from teething. He also sometimes gets lethargic and walks with his head down and tail tucked lightly bumping into things. his appetite is normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the poodle. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Eli
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Eli?
Customer: no he is a good little puppy just doesn't seem to be growing at all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. My primary concern is that Eli's lethargy, posture, stunted growth, and, particularly, bumping into things indicate encephalopathy (brain disorder) such as hydrocephalus in a Chihuahua X. Peeling ears need to be examined hands-on but I'd like to see a photo(s) of his ears if you can upload one to our conversation. You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as His ptyalism (excessive salivation) can indicate oral pain but also gastrointestinal distress/nausea/acid reflux.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His wet face
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
inside his ear and outside
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is simba. Born on the same day, same parents but he is significantly larger than Eli. Eli was the runt and born last of 3

Thank you! That's a cute wet face. He's at the age at which teething should stop. Should his ptyalism persist in spite of having all of his adult teeth - usually after 6 months of age - it should be considered an important sign to pursue. When the inferior surface of the ears is so affected, autoimmune skin disorders such as pemphigus foliaceus are important differential diagnoses. His vet should perform basic testing on the affected skin - cytology (microscopic exam for bacteria and yeast), skin scrapings looking for mites (Demodex, mainly), and if nothing untoward is found skin biopsy is necessary for confirmation of autoimmune skin disease.

Simba presents as a nicely normal dog - excellent for comparison to Eli. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is Eli at risk of dying? Are his issues able to be fixed? We love him so but we cant afford hefty vet bills

It's very difficult for me to prognose without my performing a thorough physical exam on him. His bumping into things is most worrisome. His vision might be impaired which isn't necessarily life-threatening but if it indicates a brain disorder, yes, you can lose him.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thanks for your help, we will take him to our local vet and pray for the best. he plays sometimes and he goes to the pad to urinate and defecate regularly. he is eating, he can definitely hear very well. he likes to ride in the car so hopefully the vet can help him. The vet is very old though but we shall see. thanks again

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.