Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog is lethartic expect when it wants to go outside. It

Customer Question

My dog is lethartic expect when it wants to go outside. It will eat but I have to coax her. She wont drink water so I put a lot of fluids in her food and she eats it. I have taken her to the vet in the last week to give her IV fluids and she seems to get better for a day or two. Had a full blood panel on her and they said they could not find anything wrong. Has a temperature of 102.5. I am wondering if it is psychological or medical. Help I worry she could die if I can't figure this out.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No, so you think its an infection? Could it be a liver or kidney?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is having such difficulties recently with appetite.

- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible

- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with this

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. I would advise discussing with your vet possible next steps to diagnose the cause of the reduced appetite with normal bloodwork such as abdominal ultrasound or even endoscopy (camera into the stomach to take biopsies) and your vet will likely temporarily also dispense an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to increase interest in eating again if possible

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I will be away from my computer for a little over an hour to see an appointment but will return tonight to see if you have responded and I have missed you in the next few moments...

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman