Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a Pekonsize Chiawa. She got a hold a 1 of my

Customer Question

I have a Pekonsize Chiawa. She got a hold a 1 of my medications, Carbamazepine(Tregitrol). It's a 300 mg extended release plight. She broke it open with her teeth & all of the medication came out. She didn't swallow the pill & it doesn't look like she swallowed the white powder inside. She may have gotten a little on her tongue when she broke it open. This happened 2-2 1/2 hours ago and she seems fine. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to harm her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

We dose dogs with this drug at up to 4 mg/lb. 300 mg would be an egregious overdose for such a small dog but there is extremely limited information for carbamazepine's adverse effect profile in animals. In humans adverse effects of dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, and vomiting are often seen when therapy is begun. Serious adverse effects reported in humans are usually associated with the cardiovascular or hematopoietic system as well as hepatotoxicity. It's reasonable to assume that she ingested little or none of this drug. I would have expected some combination of those adverse effects by now if she had. This drug is rapidly excreted by dogs - half of it is gone in just 2 hours - another reason to believe that she's going to stay well.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am very happy with your answer. That was the answer I was hoping to get. Thank you very much.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.