Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We just rescued a dog and cannot yell if she just

Customer Question

We just rescued a dog and cannot yell if she just recentlybhad a litter of puppies or has yet to have them...can you help us determine ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my phone number is(###) ###-####calling might be easier/ quicker
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry no one has gotten to your question prior to my just coming online. Thank you for helping out this girl. One of the things that can be used to help tell if she just recently had puppies is to actually squeeze the nipples gently to see if there is milk produced. If she's lactating, then more than likely she's got puppies somewhere she's nursing. Some can start to let down milk in the days before birth. The other oddity though is that some can be "false" pregnant - where they look pregnant, act pregnant and even possibly have milk let down - but aren't pregnant. The best thing that can be done with her is to have your vet check her over as a physical exam would be good. If she's going to be a dog that you're going to keep, it would be best to make sure she's not bringing fleas or other things into your house that need addressed.