Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My American cocker spaniel about 9 years old has a skin tag

Customer Question

my American cocker spaniel about 9 years old has a skin tag on his left back paw and it is getting bigger. it is not cancerous as the Vet checked it, however it is getting bigger and bigger. He walks on it and not in any pain. Is there anything I can do? The Vet wants over a $1000. to remove it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this skin tag to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. If this truly is a fibropapilloma (skin tag), it won't respond to conservative care. When these bother my patient or owner, they need to be surgically excised.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm at workcani do it later. Its the size of a ping pong ball

I understand. You can return to our conversation at your convenience. Bookmark this page for ease of return. A ping pong ball-sized mass needs to be removed before it ulcerates, bleeds, and becomes infected. I understand your financial constraints, however.

Hi Jeannette,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?