Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 9 month puppy keeps crawling under the porch now she had

Customer Question

My 9 month puppy keeps crawling under the porch now she had developed some new spots on her tummy . Could they be ring worm? What does it look like?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are the spots itchy?

Do they look like pimples, pustules, crusting, scaling or ulcers?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sometimes the spots are itchy but not chronically itchy.
They just look like white rings, a bit difficult to tell with her regular tummy markings.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now unfortunately the photos don’t let me appreciate the texture of these ringed lesions. Still, our main concerns here would be a Staphylococcus infection or ringworm.

With this in mind, we need to tread with care. Since ringworm is contagious to people, it would be ideal to have this tested by your local vet. If it is confirmed, they can start treatment to clear this. As well, antibiotics can be dispensed if bacterial infection is confirmed.

Otherwise, you can choose to bathe the area (while wearing gloves) with a mild antibacterial/anti-fungal antiseptic like OTC chlorohexidine. Most pharmacies and vets will dispense this over the counter. This can be washed/scrubbed 2-3 times daily. Afterwards you can coat the lesions with OTC antibiotic cream as well as an OTC antifungal (ie Clotrimazole, Miconazole) cream. This will help counter both angles and we usually treat until the lesions are totally healed and then another 3-4 days past that (since ringworm can be stubborn). Of course, if you choose to do this and the lesions don’t start to heal, we’d again want a check to confirm our suspicions and ensure we are treating as effectively as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?