Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He acts like he's wired or something won't keep head still

Customer Question

He acts like he's wired or something won't keep head still keeps looking all over
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 18 months
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: It's happened 4 times before we thought it was a toxin in the grass we sprayed but that was a month ago and we've pretty much got as much as possible up Bandit The last time this happened was May 25 so we thought we solved the problem
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about May 25?
Customer: It's happening again now so I'm scared we were wrong and he's sick
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Recurrent episodes of being "wired"/head tremors indicates either a tremor syndrome or complex partial seizures (also called psychomotor seizures). At 18 months of age, idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy is the most common cause of that type of seizure. A postural repetitive myoclonus is a type of tremor syndrome in which we see episodic (several minute duration) head tremor that is a high-frequency "yes" or "no" movement of the head and is often confused with focal seizures. It can be a challenge differentiating one from the other. Involuntary muscle contractions are distinguished from a seizure in the following way: involuntary muscle contractions aren't associated with autonomic dysfunction (urination, defecation, salivation), and they are associated with normal mentation (mental status), and they can be consistent with a described clinical syndrome of muscle contractions such as postural repetitive myoclonus. In some cases, like patients with seizures, a patient with a clinical syndrome of involuntary muscle contractions may respond to an anticonvulsant trial and such a trial should be discussed with Bandit's vet at this time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.