Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She ate my bottle of progesterone capsules 1400mg total :

Customer Question

She ate my bottle of progesterone capsules 1400mg total
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sandy age 13 weighs 25lbs
JA: How old is Sandy?
Customer: 13yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sandy?
Customer: Eats everything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please email me at***@******.*** asap..thanks

Just typing out your answer now ..

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Waiting for your email

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. In my experience hormone preparations such as your progesterone pills and birth control pills are almost always non toxic to dogs { Dogs swallowing packets of birth control pills is a fairly common incident as they are often in accessible places like the bed side table }. In most cases this sort of incident is unlikely to affect your dog but some dogs may have minor side effects such as a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea but I would not normally expect worse than that.

2. However be aware that in the literature there have been rare cases described where accidental ingestion of progesterone has caused serious bone marrow problems in the dog. So if you want to take every possible precaution then one of the best things you can do is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Sandy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Gave hydrogen p rod idea 3 percent 30 mins ago ..no vomiting

Hello again,

As I said the chances are your dog will be OK in any case, but it is permissible to try inducing vomiting one more time. { Two attempts in total }

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I don't try inducing vomiting a second time..is the already ingested (not vomited) peroxide she swallowed an additional toxic concern

Hello again,

Glad to talk about this further ...

Provided you follow the recommendations then I would not be in the slightest concerned about toxicity with peroxide whether the dog vomits or not. This is a well tried and tested method of inducing vomiting, I personally have never experienced any problem with it.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What do you think about 1400 mgs of progesterone ingested.?

Hello again,

Here is my take ...

1. From my past experience with just this sort of situation I think it likely that many dogs will not show any symptoms of any sort after this level of ingestion.

2. A minority of dogs may have a a minor transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea or perhaps other minor symptoms, but typically these will quickly pass.

3. A very tiny percentage may suffer serious bone marrow depression. { I have never seen this in practice }

Of course I have to point all the dangers to you, no matter how small ...

Regards,

Dr Scott