Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists

My dog is pooping black out of no where : he was perfectly

Customer Question

My dog is pooping black out of no where
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: he was perfectly fine last night
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: newton and 5 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Newton
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 4 months ago.

Good evening! Black stool is often a cause for significant concern. Is the fecal material formed, soft or liquidy? Has Newton gotten into anything he shouldn't have? Any new food, treats, meds, etc? What medications is he currently taking? Any major medical problems in Newton's past? - Dr.C

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
His poops started this am they are liquidy he has went about 4 or 6 times.the stool looks like dark chochlate brown i have looked at the stool under a light i even have a picture if thats even possible.when i looked under the light i saw no red.newton is fine no throwing up blood or food still peeing fine and ate his breakfast and dinner.Im just nerverous its blood but a vet tech said if hes not having major signs waited out and then maybe do a stool sample.but im very concerned this has never happned.he has no meds he takes and his health has been perfectly fine

I would recommend getting him evaluated by a veterinarian ASAP then. Black stool usually means that blood is being digested in the upper gastrointestinal tract, or that charcoal has been ingested. Since I assume you would know if your dog ate charcoal, I'd want you to rule out an upper gastrointestinal bleed by a veterinarian ASAP. Hope that helps- Dr. C

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can i wait it out for 3 days like they said too.he is a very strong stomach one time he ate a ass tray a plastic one and was perfectly fine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can i show you a picture
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
his stool

A picture of his stool? Sure, that's fine. But I can't in good conscious tell you to wait 3 days. If something were to happen to him during that time period, I'd feel terribly guilty. If he was my pet, I'd definitely take him in to be evaluated sooner rather than later. -Dr. C

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i sent a attachment

Yes, I see the picture of the stool. That is not good or anywhere near normal. Even if you don't have the finances available to spend on advanced diagnostics, he is gong to need some form of treatment to get feeling better, and to avoid life-threatening dehydration.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
okay so do you think i should do a stool sample tomorrow with the vet?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
because she did offer that

Yes, definitely a good starting point!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what does that actually do the stool? does it tell them blood and why its in there if there is any at all.My finances are tight im parylized in a wheelchair w ssi thats nothing but my dogs life is more important to me and i know most places should do insurance.He also has seperation anxiety also and we were wondering if it could just be his nerves .

A stool sample generally means they are looking for intestinal parasites. Stress can certainly cause colitis. It would be on the list of differentials.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i was just googling colotis and it really seems like he could have that and newton started having those treats and i gave him a excessive amount of them yesterday.with doing some training but hes never had them before

At the start of this conversation, I asked you if he had any new food, treats etc and you said no. Absolutely, an excessive amount of new treats could cause colitis.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
oh sorry i ment he does not have any medical problems.i just started giving him milk bone that i bought from walmart that hes never had and he had alot yesterday.the day before he pooped hard stool brown and normal color
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this just started this morning at 8am he usually has treats from petco.and this whole week he was perfectly fine doing good normal color poops like i said also i just got home .and he has separation anxiety and has been away from me for 7 days

Hopefully, we have now properly identified the cause of the dark liquidy stool. And hopefully, it is self-limiting. If it's not improving, he should be seen by your veterinarian within the next 12-24 ours.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you think with everything ive wrote it could very well be colotis and not something as serious as we thought in the beginning?