Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Mild fever-toy poodle : appears to be a little weak : Lacy,

Customer Question

mild fever-toy poodle
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the toy poodle's name and age?
Customer: appears to be a little weak
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the toy poodle?
Customer: Lacy, female, age 10 years
JA: What is the toy poodle's name?
Customer: I seem to remember my vet said once before I could give her a little piece of a tylenol tablet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long has Lacy been under the weather?

2. what precise symptoms are you seeing?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She's had a low grade fever and a little weaker than normal and eating grass for 3 or 4 days. Her stool looks normal
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
By the way, this is a one time charge of $15-$20 isn't it? I'm not interested in a monthly membership. Otherwise, I'm not interested at all

Hello again

Sorry to hear Lacy is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check her over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is has a low grade fever and is a little weaker than normal makes me think that she may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. You see I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get Lacy to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is taking fluids regularly.

3. As far as the Tylenol goes many vets now do not use this drug in dogs because of many reports of toxicity and side effects.

4. But you do have one reasonably safe choice as far as human over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs go, this being aspirin. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

4. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Lacy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. Good advice. Actually the vet told me to try aspirin before not Tylenol. Lacy has had this happen a few times before so I think I'll try aspirin before going to a vet. She's definitely not as hot as she was a day ago. Thanks again

No problem, very glad to be advising me please get back to me if you need to ...

Just picked up on your last question, when we have concluded our session I will be very glad to contact the site admin on your behalf to make sure this is a one time payment and not a subscription.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lacy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her fever ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for checking back in. I gave Lacy the dose of aspirin you prescribed and she had no fever today and seems to be back to normal. Thanks

Great news! Thanks so much for the update ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that Lacey has been unaffected by her experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott