Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 32 lbs dog may have ingested 4mg of zanaflex. What should

Customer Question

My 32 lbs dog may have ingested 4mg of zanaflex. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gracie and she turned a year old on may 5 2016
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie?
Customer: I'm not sure what she was eating when I walked into the room. I found a whole pill near by lazy boy so now I'm scared. She ate is maybe 5 minutes ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello Bekki,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This drug { Zanaflex } is not used much in dogs and there is very little data available on it's toxicity so it's effect in your dog's case would be unpredictable. It would however have the potential to affect your dog's heart.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd or unexpected symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by an ER vet without delay.

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Bekki,

I am just checking back in to see how Gracie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Zanaflex ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Bekki,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?