Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I'm getting my new puppy Sunday. She has a bloated stomach.

Customer Question

I'm getting my new puppy Sunday. She has a bloated stomach. I seen her 2 weeks ago and she also had the bloated stomach. Breeder says she eats a lot. What do you think?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sunday?
Customer: well we are getting her that day and I don't want anything wrong with her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not know I was getting into a membership. I do not want that!! Please disregard my question! Please do not use my credit card or I'll have to go talk with my bank about it. I did not fill out a form.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about your new puppy's physique because she appears to have a bloated abdomen.

Most puppies have poor/weaker abdominal muscle strength compared to an adult's abdominal musculature, so their abdomens often look rounder than an adult dog's would.

Most puppies also have gastrointestinal parasites and those too can create a bloated looking abdomen. Has this little one been wormed? Puppies should be on a worming program. I generally recommend a broad spectrum wormer like pyrantel, which is very gentle and safe yet kills roundworms and hookworms, be given every 2 weeks until roughly 12-16 weeks of age and then the pup should be wormed monthly. That can be accomplished by giving a heartworm prevention that has a gastrointestinal wormer too. Examples include Heartgard Plus, Sentinel or Iverhart Max. It is still important to check several stool samples to make sure she doesn't have an unusual parasite that the usual wormers don't cover. And it is well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently which means they aren't shed in every stool. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative.

If the puppy is eating a diet that is high in fiber or not of the highest quality then she may need to eat more food to grow properly, thus she may look bloated.

It will be important compare this puppy to her littermates. If she is growing as well as they are, and is playful, active and alert then she is probably fine. But I do recommend making sure she is being fed a high quality food, and that she be on a good broad spectrum wormer.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

You do not need to have a membership to ask a question. I can forward this to customer service if you would like to make sure you are signed up for a one time question if you don't have any further questions for me about your pup. Just let me know.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful I would appreciate an update on your puppy, thank you, ***** *****