Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is almost 10 years old and over the past couple of

Customer Question

My dog is almost 10 years old and over the past couple of months my sister and i have noticed that she is losing teeth and her gums are black. She is a yorkie
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sandy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sandy?
Customer: No, she has never had any other health problems
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

If Sandy is losing teeth there must be significant periodontal disease/tooth root abscessation and that alone should prompt having Sandy's vet take a look in Sandy's mouth. I would expect full mouth dental X-rays, a thorough cleaning and extractions of teeth ready to be lost as is too often the case in these miniature breeds. If all of her gums have turned black, that pigment was genetically predetermined to appear. If only a section of the gums has turned black and if the gums have become inflamed and raised, the black can indicate the very dangerous melanoma. Sandy's vet can differentiate benign pigmentation from such a cancer.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.