Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

Is there an oral medication dogs. He is biting when being

Customer Question

Is there an oral medication for diabetic dogs. He is biting when being given insulin shots.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem. it can sometimes be difficult to give insulin to a non-cooperative dog.

Unfortunately, there are no oral medications for dogs with diabetes that actually work.

Dogs with this disease are insulin dependent. Their disease must be treated with insulin. Some cats can be treated with prescription diet alone, however this is not the case for dogs.

One option would be to try some things to reduce mild anxiety so your dog doesn't get so stressed out for injections. You can try Adaptil ( or an oral L-theonine supplement ( to help reduce anxiety. This may help with insulin injections.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 months ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!