Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Loss of appetite, vomiting lethargic. Took her to vet today,

Customer Question

Loss of appetite, vomiting lethargic. Took her to vet today, found liver enzymes were through the roof and an X-ray showed an enlarged liver. They are giving her IVs and antibiotics right now but he suggested euthanasia. She seemed fine 4 days ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She is a 12 (approx) yr old ***** ***** mix
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with her. I believe that her vet thinks that the combination of egregiously elevated liver enzymes and hepatomegaly (enlarged liver) indicates liver cancer in a 12 year old. Because these findings aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of cancer, however, we recommend ultrasounding the abdomen of such a patient not only looking at the liver itself but also for metastatic cancer which then would support the diagnosis of cancer in the liver. We can also needle aspirate or biopsy the liver and let our pathologist tell us what's going on inside it. Her other blood work might be helpful in determining why her liver enzymes and liver enlargement have arisen. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here are the results of Skittles blood work. I brought her home today. She ate a little bit of the special food they sent home with her and drank some water and so far has kept it down. They have her on Cerenia once a day, Ciprofloxacin 250mg 2 times a day and Denamarin 225mg once a day. She peed and had a bowel movement outside the office in the yard before we brought her home. She is in good spirits and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. Please look over the test results as your opinion means a lot to me. Thank you, Tina
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I sent you 4 pics. Please let me know if you aren't able to see any of them. Thank you.

Thank you! Mild dehydration, very high bilirubin and unquantified liver enzymes ALP and ALT are present. It's appropriate to dilute the sample and rerun those liver enzyme tests to better understand just how elevated they are. There are no other significant findings in those test results. My recommendations as initially posted stand. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?