Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Dog hasn't eaten in 3 days. Drinks and urinates fine. Ate

Customer Question

Dog hasn't eaten in 3 days. Drinks and urinates fine. Ate something green and threw it up yesterday. Whatever it was it was in his kennel where there are no toxic plants. Just laying around but will get some energy if something is interesting to him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Some kind of leaf- probably a maple leaf.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is current on her shots and had advantix a couple weeks ago. She was at the dog park on Sunday and drank some of the water as do all the dogs.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup is somewhat lethargic, has refused to eat for 3 days and vomited something green.

Dogs that do not feel well often are mopey, so along with his vomiting and not eating I think he's just trying to tell you that he doesn't feel well.

Was the green material clearly a piece of a plant or just greenish liquid? Dogs that feel nauseous will eat plant material, and that could explain the green plant material. If this is the case he likely ate the plant in response to whatever is making him nauseous and not want to eat, and the plant is unlikely to be the real issue. If his vomit was more green fluid then dogs that have a gastrointestinal blockage or very abnormal intestinal motility often vomit green material as that is digested bile, bile that sits in the stomach for a while. Bile only refluxes back into the stomach when gastrointestinal motility is abnormal, such as with a blockage or poor gastrointestinal motility due to primary intestinal or metabolic disease.

Vomiting can be related to chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma. Because this happened soon after the dog park visit perhaps he ate something there that you don't know about.

Is he a fellow that eats things like rubber bands, toys other things he should not?

Because he isn't eating for this length of time I am very concerned about him.

Ideally he would see a veterinarian since this has been going on for more than 48 hours. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine him, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate him and know best how to treat him.

In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate him and rebalance his electrolytes.

If you cannot have him seen for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home, though if he doesn't respond quickly he should see a veterinarian.

At home to try and settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of ¼ of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help her feel better. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering soft foods mixed with water to make eating and swallowing more comfortable.

If he is refusing to eat even soft foods you can try offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.

If he continues to not eat and continues to vomit green material he should see his veterinarian or an emergency veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful I would appreciate an update on your pup, thank you, ***** *****