Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What can you give a dog with a cold

Customer Question

what can you give a dog with a cold
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What signs is your lass showing just now? Coughing, sneezing, congestion?

Any nasal discharge? If so,what color and from both or one nostril?

How old is she? How long ash she had these signs?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sneezing and she is very tired
her age we are not sure but she is over 7
about 3days
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now Blackie’s signs do raise concerns of a cold or flu here. So, as long as she doesn’t have any snotty colored discharges (an indication for antibiotics from her vet), we can try some supportive care to help her feel better.

To start, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear any of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often they don’t like things held up to their faces. So you may need to steam her with one of these in a small room or a sheet covered dog crate

Otherwise, if she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus you can reach. As well, you can also use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist but not anything medicated) to relieve her congestion. To do so, take one at a time and tilt her head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. They hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

As well, if her appetite is waning at all, do try her with smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help her smell it. Furthermore, there are also OTC calorically dense critical care diets (ie Hill's A/D, Clinicare, Royal Canin Recovery diet) available from the vets or puppy food that can be useful in getting more nutrition in, even if you cannot get a large volume of food in.

Overall, it sounds like poor Blackie has caught a cold and the above supportive care measures would be indicated. Though if she starts with any snotty discharge or her signs don’t’ settle, then that will be your cue to visit the vet to get her checked out. The vet will be able to examine her, dispense antibiotics for any bacterial agents and provide pet safe decongestants to get her back on track and settle this sneezing.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Blackie. How is everything going?

nekovet