Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has been eating little round pellet poop (I think

Customer Question

My dog has been eating little round pellet poop (I think rabbit) she has thrown up once and diareah with mucus and I did see a tiny spot of blood.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Just the pellet poop (I think rabbit)
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Faith 3years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Faith?
Customer: No she's still playful and happy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any other symptoms?

2- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No other symptoms and she was 7 1/2 lbs

How long has it been since the last time she vomited?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2 days

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see diarrhea with blood and mucus this is a sign of inflammation in the colon, she has colitis. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. Rabbits and dogs do not share common intestinal parasites but if she is eating a lot of feces it is possible to cause diarrhea. I would recommend you drop a stool sample for your family vet to check for intestinal parasites. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body. In addition, pepto bismol will make the bleeding worst.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.